If you are like me, sometimes you just want to make something with your hands! This DIY pink pampas grass centerpiece is great for Valentine’s Day (or any day, really!). It’s easy, on-trend, and best of all: inexpensive!
What You’ll Need:
Head to Walmart to pick up these supplies!
- Pretty vase and/or planter
- Faux pampas grass stem + other faux stems
- Spray paint
- Set up paint station outside.
- Spread out the pampas grass stem – there are 5-6 pieces per stem so spread them out so the paint can reach all areas.
- Start at the bottom 1/3 of the stem and lightly spray the paint while twisting and gently shaking the stem. This will keep the stem from getting too much paint in one spot.
- Repeat on each section!
- Once you have painted the stem, drop it into a container to dry.
- Once dry, I gave mine a day but an hour would have probably been enough, I “combed out” the strands with my fingers to help restore the pampas grass to its original flowy state.
- Trim the stem by using clippers (Fiskars clippers are our favorite) to cut the paper around the metal piece and then bend the metal back and forth until it breaks off.
Tips & Tricks
After doing the single stem, I wanted to try a centerpiece with more components. I chose faux stems from the craft section at Walmart that had an interesting shape, color, or both.
- Go through the same steps with the pampas grass.
- Use painter’s tape to cover any parts of the faux flower stem you do not want painted.
The trend right now is sculptural arrangements with fewer pieces, placed thoughtfully. Play around with composition! The fun thing about faux flowers is if you get tired of them in one formation, you can rearrange them!
Tip: because the planter has a wide mouth, I added a block of floral foam to hold the stems in place.
Tip: Because this is a whimsical take on a floral centerpiece, I like covering the “green” parts of the faux flowers with paint as well. This drives home the point that you know it is not naturally occurring in nature and that it is whimsical through and through.
Visual Step-by-Step Instructions:
Let us know your thoughts! Will you try this?
#whoawaitwalmart @walmart #diy #floralarrangement